The most famous Latvian capital sights are the City Hall, the House of Blackheads, the House of Schwabe. However, guests of the city often speak with interest about the best casino in Riga building and about the House with Cats, which has an original history.
The Town Hall building was rebuilt many times. The undoubted decoration of the Town Hall Square are two red brick buildings with richly decorated facades - the House of the Brotherhood of Blackheads (to the right) and the House of Schwabe (to the left).
Now these houses constitute a single architectural complex, but this was not always the case. The house that we see today was restored to its former place in 1996–2000 to celebrate the 800th anniversary of Riga. Now about the House of Schwabe. An extension to the House of the Brotherhood of Blackheads existed originally. It was a small nondescript building. Since 1842, the homely little house goes to the wine merchant Schwabe. The company was very popular in Riga and soon the building near the Blackheads' house received the nickname "Schwabe House". The next owner of the Schwabe House was a rich ambitious merchant Emil Schmidt who dreamed of joining the Brotherhood of Blackheads, but he was refused. And then he decided to "take revenge" and ordered the famous Riga architect Karl Felsko to do a complete renovation of his house, so that it would look no worse than the Blackheads' House located nearby.
St. Peter's Church is one of the most famous sights of Riga. The temple serves as a museum now. The height of the church tower with a spire is 124 meters, and at an altitude of 72 meters there is an observation deck with beautiful views of Riga.
Behind the church of Peter there is a very picturesque area, where narrow streets and ancient houses and temples are preserved. The Church of St. John is one of the oldest churches in the city, the first records of which relate to the 1297 chronicles. Today in the temple, in addition to church services, organ concerts can be heard.
Livy Square is quite new, it was formed in the middle of the twentieth century, after the World War II. But a complex of interesting residential buildings of the 18th century, as well as the buildings of the Great Guild (merchants) and the Small Guild (craftsmen), the House with Cats, built in the 19th century, remained here.
The Riga Philharmonic has been located in the building of the Great Guild for many years. And there is a city legend about “House with Cats”. The wealthy homeowner Blümer, dissatisfied with the fact that he was not allowed to become a Great Guild member, undertook an act of retaliation. He ordered black cat sculptures with curved backs and placed them on the pointed turrets of his apartment building, located next to the Great Guild building. The piquancy of the situation lies in the fact that the cats were turned with their tails towards the office of the Great Guild head windows. This caused a big scandal and a lawsuit was initiated against Blümer. However, for quite a long time, no matter what measures it was possible to achieve from Blümer, that the cats would be turned in their faces. Over time, of course, the cats were turned to the "right" perspective.
Not far from House with Cats is the Powder Tower. This is the only surviving tower of the Riga fortress wall. It was originally called the Sand Tower and dated to 1330. The tower was rebuilt several times and got its current name in the 17th century, when they began to keep gunpowder in it. Since 1919, the building houses has the Military Museum.
The Swedish Gate is the only one of the eight gates of Riga, which have survived to the present days. The gate was built in 1698 to connect the inner city with the barracks and houses outside the city walls. There are hotels in the city located in historic buildings. For example, Grand Hotel Kempinski Riga, in which one of the best Riga’s casinos is also based. The hotel is located in the Old Town of Riga, two steps from the famous Latvian National Opera said Darren Keane, Storm International managing director. This magnificent complex was built in the 19th century. It was originally called Hotel Rome. It will help to plunge into the rich past of Latvia, to get acquainted with the main sights and heritage of the Middle Ages in all its magnificence. A unit of Storm International, Darren Keane said, will help to spend an unforgettable evening here.